CLEANER (casual employment)
Lougheed House is seeking an enthusiastic individual to join our team!
It is an exciting time to join Lougheed House as we continue to grow as a cultural hub for Calgary and our Beltline community. We are expanding our programming and are looking for an individual interested in being a part of this journey.
Lougheed House was built in 1891 and is a Provincial and National Historic Site. Designed by Ottawa architect James R. Bowes for Senator James and Isabella Lougheed, it is one of the earliest surviving mansions of its kind on the Canadian prairies today. Located in the Beltline district of Calgary amid several acres of heritage gardens and green space, the House is also an accredited museum and significant Calgary landmark. It features a regular exhibition program, hosts events/programs, tours, and learning opportunities for visitors of all ages.
COMPANY NAME: Lougheed House Conservation Society
POSITION TITLE: Cleaner
REPORTS TO: Administration Coordinator
Working with the Administration Coordinator, the Cleaner is responsible for maintaining the facility at a high level of cleanliness and tidiness, including all Lougheed House public areas, staff areas, and related areas. The Cleaner’s duties include, but are not limited to:
• Ensuring cleaning and hygiene adheres to Alberta Health Services (AHS) existing standards and for COVID-19 protocols.
• Completing a cleaning check sheet daily to ensure all areas are covered and standards met.
• Cleaning of the public spaces, the restaurant dining room, and galleries.
• Dusting of appropriate ledges & surfaces.
• Cleaning all accessible glass work, display cases, plastic barriers (aka spit guards).
• Vacuuming / sweeping & mopping a variety of floor surfaces.
• Taking care and attention to ensure appropriate signage is correctly displayed.
• Maintain all washroom facilities throughout the Museum to a high standard, to include sinks, toilets, floors, taps/handles, & mirrors. Replenishing toilet rolls when required & emptying bins.
• Ensure all staff office areas are dusted, cleaned & vacuumed including the refrigerator & microwave.
• Garbage and recycling bins emptied and disposed of in the designated external receptacles
• Proper use of appropriate cleaning materials and proper methods for cleaning a designated Provincial Historic Site
• Informing supervisor when stocks are low.
• Contribute to a positive organization culture
• Under the supervision of the curator, be responsible for the occasional cleaning of exhibits using appropriate conservation standards
• Safeguarding the historic site
• Other duties as assigned.
• Must be eligible to work
• Good organizational and planning skills.
• Ability to take direction, work both independently and within a team
• Ability to problem-solve and take initiative within provided guidelines
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
• Ability to deal courteously, and with tact, with other employees and guests
• Ability to read, understand & follow Product Safety Data Sheets and other Workplace Health & Safety guidelines.
• Must have ability to use online scheduling systems
• Must provide a positive attitude.
• Provide excellent customer service and be an Ambassador for the House.
• Have a clean and neat appearance
• Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
• Flexible approach to working hours. Must be available to workdays, evenings, and weekends; including Sundays
• Must be able to frequently lift objects weighing up to 30 pounds, climb stairs
• Proven dependability: reliable and punctual
• A minimum of 1 year of experience in janitorial or care taking work
• Familiarity with cleaning equipment and tasks
• Experience cleaning a historic building is an asset
• Lifting objects weighing up to 30 pounds
• Climb stairs
• Use hands and arms to reach for, grasp and manipulate objects
• Stand for long periods of time
• Sit for long periods of time
• Occasionally stoop, kneel or crouch
Lougheed House is committed to, and values, diversity in the workplace.
JOB LOCATION: Calgary, Alberta
START DATE: ASAP
DURATION: This is a part time casual position. Hours worked are dependent upon events scheduled and applicant’s availability. Work can occur any day or evening during the week.
ITEMS TO INCLUDE IN APPLICATION: Resume, cover letter, and references
Submissions should be sent by email to:
Jennifer Mickle, Administration Coordinator
jmickl (AT) lougheedhouse.com
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries, please and late applications will not be considered.
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: August 24th, 2020, at 5:00 p.m. MST
A current security clearance check is required for this role.
For more information on the Lougheed House, please go to www.lougheedhouse.com.
The job description is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities of and qualifications for this position. The job description is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or of all qualifications that may be required either now or in the future.