Guided tours of the Lougheed House grounds and culture.
Enjoy and informative and impactful tour of the Lougheed House grounds and gardens. Our expert tour guides will enthrall you with stories and entertain you with insights into the Lougheed House gardens, grounds, and the culture of the neighbourhood as it evolved and developed as part of Calgary's history.
We all have an important role to play in limiting the spread of Covid-19. Please print and fill in the Guest Wellness Screening Questionnaire and bring it with you to your tour. Thank you for your help and consideration.
Make your tour an even better outing with a picnic box from Meez Cuisine
Reminders to all tour guests:
- Before attending, print and fill out the Guest Wellness Screening Questionnaire included in your ticket, and bring it with you for a faster check in.
- If you are feeling unwell, please stay home and contact medical professionals.
- Practice social/physical distancing of a minimum of 2 metres (six feet).
- Exercise respiratory etiquette (e.g. coughing or sneezing into a tissue or bent elbow, not your hand, and promptly disposing of used tissues in the trash and wash your hands afterwards)
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid shaking hands or any other physical contact with fellow tour hosts or guests.
- Wash hands frequently and use proper hand hygiene. This means washing your hands often using soap and water for at least 20 seconds or a hand sanitizer with an alcohol content of greater than 60%.
- Respect other people’s space in the garden including any accompanying pets.
- Everyone is to use receptacles for all garbage, recycling, compost so the park space is clean and safe for all!
The wearing of face masks of all tour participants is strongly encouraged.
This 2-acre landscape reflects the gardening style of the Victorian era, while illustrating current trends and the realities of inner-city gardening in Calgary’s unusual climate. We will tour each of the garden beds, focusing on the plants that are in their prime. This is a perfect way to deepen your understanding of the gardens.
July 16th, August 6th, August 20th, September 3rd
Have you ever walked by and wondered who built Lougheed House in the first place? Did you know that the House has served over 6 different purposes including a Victorian Family home to a blood donor clinic? Join us for a site tour of the historic Lougheed House and learn about the history of the site from 1891 to now, the many people who worked and lived here, the unique architecture of the house, and the many buildings that used to stand on the site.
July 23rd, August 13th
Back by popular demand, Kalyn Kodiak a Métis Knowledge Keeper, as well as Traditional and Clinical Herbalist, will take you on a tour of the Lougheed House Gardens and will share with you the history of Métis gardening and the traditional uses of plants in our area.
July 30th, August 27th
Join author and head of Calgary Gay History Project’s Kevin Allen on a walk through the beltline and city centre. This tour will highlight locations significant to the political and social events that affected our local queer community. From community gathering spaces in parks to several former watering holes where Calgary’s LGBTQ community gathered, this tour will give you an appreciation of the breadth and depth of Calgary’s Queer History.
Washrooms: Access is limited onsite and will only be available to tour guests from 30 minutes before their tour starts and 30 minutes after the tour ends. Though washrooms will be thoroughly sanitized before and after tour group use, if possible, guests are encouraged to use their personal facilities before visiting the site.
Tour Check-In: Our entrance to the building is located at the SW corner of the building between our two parking lots. Please look for an event tent, within our garden area just beside the entrance to our building. Check-in will be available 30 minutes before the start of each tour. Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your start time to ensure you do not miss the start of the tour. Please bring your h Guest Wellness Screening Questionnaire already filled out to speed up your check-in process.
Parking: We have two free parking lots available to attendees; One off of 13th avenue and one off of 14th avenue. In the instance that the parking lots become full, all street parking is free in our neighborhood after 6 pm.